The earliest known photograph of the Brisbane Gaol as viewed from Bolgo Road (“Boggo Road”), circa late 19th century, showing the drive and gatehouse. Opened in 1883, the prison would become infamous. Number Two Division, the only remaining section today, had not yet been constructed at the time this photograph was taken. Source: Farrell, J. former prison officer, Brisbane Prison.
Just after the turn of the new century, the original Brisbane Gaol (at left) was joined by a new gaol. The original Gaol was renamed H.M. Gaol for Men and H.M. Gaol for Women (right) opened to compliment it. “A” Tower can be seen on the wall of the Men’s Gaol. Source: Queensland Parliamentary Papers, […]
The only remaining section of Boggo Road Gaol was originally a purpose-built female prison. In the 1920′s when it became No2 Division, the home of long term male inmates, the words on the parapet were updated from “H M PRISON FOR WOMEN” to “MEN” , with the letters “WO” being covered over to indicate the […]